Unleash the hunter-gatherer to improve health and wellbeing
Go Primal is Synergy Health’s latest team health challenge programme.
It is based upon the understanding that our bodies and minds are designed for the world of hundreds and thousands of years ago and both expect us to live like our ancestors.
When evaluating our evolutionary past, it provides us with an insight into which particular environment has had the biggest impact on our genetics.
- Hunter-Gatherers: 85,000 generations
- Agriculture Revolution: 350 generations
- Industrial Revolution: 7 generations
- Digital Age: 2 generations
The Go Primal challenge encourages participants to better understand our hunter gatherer lifestyle and how this provides us with an insight into how to improve our overall health and wellbeing in today’s modern environment.
Go Primal provides participants with the motivation and understanding of our basic physiological needs that include:
- Eating real food
- Undertaking evolutionary appropriate exercise
- Attaining adequate sleep
- Exposing our eyes and skin to bright natural light
- Playing and socialising
“Our evolution designed us for a world very different from that we have constructed for ourselves. Within a mere instant, in evolutionary terms, we have transformed our environment. But this widening mismatch between our biology and our environment has its costs. And we cannot evolve our way out of the problem”.
Mismatch - why our world no longer fits our bodies (Oxford Press, 2006).
Prof Peter Gluckman - Chief Science Advisor to John Key (New Zealand Prime Minister)
Go Primal is a 4 week challenge that is hosted on Synergy Health’s health challenge website. This enables businesses to:
- Establish a start date
- Determine their own team size
- Add customised content that includes text, logos and imagery
- Build and create teams online
- Display a leader board
- Enable messaging between participants
- Improved morale- Enhanced teamwork
- Employees develop greater awareness of healthy lifestyle behaviours, to help reduce sickness absence and enhance productivity.